My Blog List

Friday, April 29, 2011

Cake Balls - or how many inappropriate jokes can you make in a weekend?

As many of you know (or have experienced) I freaking LOVE cooking. I find it to be the most relaxing thing and I spend my days watching the Food Network searching for new ways to enjoy my favorite thing - food. Now, I always want to pull a Paula Deen (when in doubt, add more butter and deep fry that shit) but my inability to buy a new wardrobe for an ever expanding waistline keeps me in check.



 Recently, Starbucks rolled out these new cake pops and they're a little piece of heaven. Super moist cake covered in chocolate and in bite size form tempts me every time. For a friend's birthday I decided to attempt to make these because let's face it, cake is so two years ago. It wasn't too difficult to find a step-by-step guide to making them, but when I returned from the market I realized I forgot one of the most important parts of the cake pops. I did not procure the lollipop sticks. Since I did not have time to go back to the store, I made an executive decision and renamed these gems cake balls. Oh yes, let the inappropriate jokes begin.




 Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman

 You can either make the cake from scratch or buy a box cake...either way works.

 Ingredients:

-1 box cake
-1 tub of icing
-Chocolate chips



 Follow the baking instructions on the box and let the cake cool completely. Once the cake has cooled completely break it up into a bowl and mash the cake with a fork.


After that, add in icing and mix it together, channel your inner Paula Deen and remember more is better!! Since I used red velvet cake, I chose cream cheese icing....mmmmm. Once you have reached your ideal cake to frosting ratio, the next step is to form your balls. Take the cake and roll it into a one to two inch ball and place it on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Once all your balls have been formed it's time to chill them - shrinkage isn't an issue here! If you are pressed for time you can put them into the freezer, but do not let them freeze. You want them cool enough that they will maintain their shape.



 Once your balls have set, it is time to get your chocolate ready. Melt it according to what the packaging states, in my case the microwave.



Once the chocolate has been melted, the balls must be submerged in it. I used a spoon and tapped it on the side of the bowl to get rid of excess chocolate. Give the chocolate time to set and then your balls are ready!

Here are few inappropriate things that you can say while offering your delicacy to others:
-Do you want to see my balls?
-My balls are getting sweaty and the chocolate is going to melt.
-Want to try my balls? They are so moist and delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Well then...They sertenly look like some good ballz....um i mean balls...you now...look im only 12 ok?! (its ok i learned EVERYTHING)

    ReplyDelete