My Blog List

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Decorative Gourd Season

Ahhh the fall. It is a time during which we Americans celebrate Halloween and Thanksgiving. Turkeys, football, and cornucopias. The star of the cornucopia is the gourd. Throughout the years we have developed an obsession with gourds.





These awkwardly shaped veggies have made a move from our kitchen to seasonal decorations as well. In case you are unaware of the versatility of this magnificent food, please click here.



In honor of the season, and my love of pie, I decided to make pumpkin pie from actual pumpkins. I know, it's much easier to buy canned pumpkin, but when do I turn away from a challenge? NEVER!!

After scouring cook books and the internet for the best way to fulfill my need for a delicious homemade pie, I had the confidence to begin. I would like to thank my friend Chelsea for saving me from my thimble-sized kitchen and taking on this challenge with me. And oh yes, and for trusting me with a sharp knife.

Step 1: slice pumpkins in half. Put aside the seeds and toss gross stringy things.

Step 2: Place the pumpkins open side down in an oven pre-heated to 375 degrees.

Step 3: Bake the pumpkins for about 30 minutes

Step 4: While the pumpkins are cooking, clean off the seeds and dry them off to make yummy and nutritious snack.

Step 5: Once the pumpkins are cooked, a knife should easily cut the through the exterior. Scoop out the soft bits of pumpkin and place them into the best invention ever - the food processor.





Blend the pumpkin until it is smooth. VoilĂ  - mashed pumpkin that is PERFECT for your favorite pumpkin pie recipe.

Unfortuneatley, I used the recipe from the Joy of Cooking. I wish I could say that this pie turned out to be the best I ever had, but the book let me down for the first time. My quest continues for the Perfect Pumpkin Pie.

But thing is certain. It is definitely decorative gourd season, bitches. Countdown to Thanksgiving, aka the most gluttonous day of the year pumpkin pie adventure #2, eleven days.

In order to leave this blog on a positive note, I leave you with Pedro in his jammies.

1 comment: